Hosted by the ANU Malaysia Institute, the 2020 Malaysia Update comes at a time of public-health, political and economic crisis globally. Malaysia too is facing unprecedented challenges, with political alliances shifting and restructuring, the economy contracting sharply during COVID-19, and many people at risk of losing their lives and livelihoods.
The Malaysia Update will be held virtually, in collaboration with KiniTV, and brings together speakers from Malaysia and Australia for the latest developments, debates and challenges, in search of urgent alternative visions for the future of Malaysia.
WEDNESDAY 21 OCTOBER 2020, 4.00PM-5.30PM AEDT (1.00PM-2.30PM MYT)
Political Update: Can youth change Malaysian politics?
• Qyira Yusri, Co-Founder of Undi18, Organizer of Parlimen Digital
• Lim Wei Jiet, Lawyer and Co-founder of the Malaysian United Democratic Alliance
• Mahirah Marzuki, Program Coordinator of UndiSabah
• Dr Ross Tapsell, Director, ANU Malaysia Institute
THURSDAY 22 OCTOBER 2020, 1.00PM-2.30PM AEDT (10.00AM-11.30AM MYT)
Economic Update: Impact of COVID-19 on the vulnerable groups in Malaysia
• Dr Muhammed Abdul Khalid, author, former Economic Adviser to the former Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad,
• Prof Dr Jomo Kwame Sundaram, Senior Adviser, Khazanah Research Institute
• Tricia Yeoh, CEO, Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs
• Stewart Nixon, PhD scholar, ANU Crawford School of Public Policy
FRIDAY 23 OCTOBER 2020, 1.00PM-2.30PM AEDT (10.00AM-11.30AM MYT)
Cultural Update: Art, culture, grief and loss in a time of crisis
• Jo Kukathas, writer, director, actor and Artistic Director of The Instant Cafe Theatre Company
• Dr Simon Soon, Senior Lecturer, Visual Arts Program, University of Malaya
• Dr Show Ying Xin, Postdoc Fellow, ANU Malaysia Institute
Webinars will be recorded